Tanzania visa for US citizens: What you need to know
- 1. Do US citizens need a visa for Tanzania?
- 2. Visa requirements for Tanzania for US citizens
- 3. How to get a Tanzania visa for US citizens
- 4. What is the cost of a Tanzania visa for US citizens?
- 5. How long does it take to get a visa to Tanzania for US citizens?
- 6. Where is the Embassy of Tanzania in the US?
- 7. Where is the US Embassy in Tanzania?
- 8. What are the vaccine Tanzania entry requirements for US citizens?
- 9. What is the time difference between Tanzania and the US?
- 10. What is the currency of Tanzania and the exchange rate to American dollars?
- 11. How to travel to Tanzania from USA
Tanzania is a country in Africa that holds unique tourist attractions that are well worth the visit, you won't run out of things to do in Tanzania. Whether you’re visiting pristine beaches in Zanzibar or going on a safari in Tanzania, your experience will not be forgotten soon.
If you travel to Tanzania from the USA, you will need to know some important information about the Tanzania visa for US citizens.
Do US citizens need a visa for Tanzania?
The visa for Tanzania for US citizens can be processed online if they apply for the following kinds of visas:
- Ordinary visa (single-entry, valid for 90 days and for tourism purposes mostly)
- Multiple entry visa (valid for one year)
- Transit visa (valid for one week)
Visa requirements for Tanzania for US citizens
The Tanzania visa requirements for US citizens are:
- A valid passport
- Proof of funds for the stay
- Proof of travel
- An approved travel visa
- Travel insurance (it’s not mandatory, but it’s strongly recommended)
How to get a Tanzania visa for US citizens
Since US citizens can apply for the visa for Tanzania online, they will need to:
- Complete an online form
- Have a valid passport with a blank page and 6 months of validity (at least)
- Pay the fees with a credit or debit card
- Provide an email to receive the approved visa
If you want to apply for the single entry visa, you will also need to provide a flight ticket (for the round trip).
What is the cost of a Tanzania visa for US citizens?
The cost of the visa for Tanzania for US citizens vary according to the type of visa you will be applying for:
- Ordinary single entry visa: $50
- Multiple entry visa: $100
- Transit visa: $30
How long does it take to get a visa to Tanzania for US citizens?
The Tanzania visa for US citizens should be applied for at least 25 days before traveling. The visa application processing takes approximately 10 days.
Where is the Embassy of Tanzania in the US?
Telephone: (202) 939-6125
Where is the US Embassy in Tanzania?
What are the vaccine Tanzania entry requirements for US citizens?
Although there are no mandatory vaccine requirements, the CDC recommends getting the following before traveling to Tanzania:
- Chickenpox (Varicella)
- Flu (influenza)
- Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR)
- Hepatitis A and B
The yellow fever vaccine is mandatory if we travel from an endemic country, which is not the case for the US.
What is the time difference between Tanzania and the US?
The time difference will vary because the US has 6 different time zones. However, Tanzania has only one, so it will be easier to calculate: East Africa Time (UTC+3).
The country does not observe Daylight Savings Time so it has the same time zone all year long.
Time zones of the United States from West to East
- Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time (HAST): UTC-10
- Alaska Standard Time (AST): UTC-9
- Pacific Standard Time (PST): UTC-8
- Mountain Standard Time (MST): UTC-7
- Central Standard Time (CST): UTC-6
- Eastern Standard Time (EST): UTC-5
What is the currency of Tanzania and the exchange rate to American dollars?
The currency of Tanzania is the Tanzanian Shilling (TZS). However, you may be able to make purchases with US dollars in the bigger tourist areas of Tanzania, but not with bills from before 2006.
The exchange rate in 2023 is:
- 1 TZS = 0,00042 USD
- 1 USD = 2385 TZS
How to travel to Tanzania from USA
There are no direct flights from the US to Tanzania. The best way to get there would be to fly to Dar Es Salaam from Washington D.C, although there are departing flights from other American cities like New York City.
Keep in mind that, since there is a huge distance between the two countries, the flight duration is very long: it will take more than 20 hours to reach your destination.
How to get to Zanzibar from USA
There are no direct flights to Zanzibar from the US. However, it has its own airport and it receives many different flights from all over the USA.
For example, if you travel from New York City, you can reach Zanzibar in approximately 18 or 19 hours with only one stop in Kenya.