Key information to pick the best Uganda time for travelingby Pancho Barranco | September 6, 2022
Uganda is a country with incredible biodiversity. The source of the river Nile is deep in Uganda's Rwenzoris mountains, Africa's tallest mountain range, where gorillas roam around waterfalls, lakes and glaciers.
We want you to really enjoy Uganda, a small country that has much to offer, so we're going to tell you about what you can expect depending on the time of year you visit. Hopefully this information about the Uganda time will be useful for you to plan your trip!
General weather in Uganda
The Uganda time is temperate all year round, so you won't have to worry about extreme temperatures as the average temperatures are around 21 to 25°C (68 to 77°F) during the day and 16 °C (61°F) at night. This can vary slightly depending on the area you visit, as temperatures can drop in mountainous regions.
The Uganda weather is warmest during the months of January and February when the temperatures rise to 30°C (86°F) and the coldest Uganda time is in June and July, when the temperature is around 20°C (86°F).
Dry and rainy seasons, which is the best time to visit Uganda?
The rainy season is from April to October and the dry season is from November to March. Both seasons are good times to visit Uganda. During the dry season there is less vegetation so you will have a higher chance of catching a glimpse of a greater variety of wild animals while they are out looking for water.
During the rainy Uganda time the forests are lush and green and you will be able to join an Uganda gorilla trekking to see mountain gorillas and birds, although the roads may be muddy, so check out our guide on how to get around Uganda.
Best festivals and events
This country is best known for its nature and wildlife, but there are many other things to do in Uganda. There are many cultural and artistic events. Here we highlight some of the best:
Feast of the Uganda Martyrs
On June 3rd, is a national holiday which commemorates 45 Christian martyrs who were killed between 1885 and 1887. Thousands gather to remember and the events are also televised.
Nyege Nyege Festival
Nyege Nyege Festival is an Electronic Music festival which attracts major artists from all around the world. It also hosts other artistic and nature activities such as kayaking and hiking in the area around Itapa Falls where the festival is held. In 2022 the festival will be held in September.
Amakula International Film Festival
This is Uganda´s oldest independent film festival. It is held in Uganda´s capital city, Kampala and it showcases local filmmakers and also provides a space for them to form partnerships. In 2022 it will be held from the 2nd to the 5th of November.
Nile River Festival
This is Africa's longest running and largest whitewater festival. Participants experience some of the biggest rapids in the world and get to experience the River Nile and the surrounding area. Spectators can watch the competitions and take part in some of the activities that are organized. In 2022 it was held from 11th to 13th of February.
What to pack
- You will need to apply for the Uganda evisa online before traveling. Check your eligibility to make sure you can avoid going to the embassy.
- Whether you travel to Uganda in the rainy or dry season, it's a good idea to pack a light waterproof jacket, in case you get caught in tropical showers.
- Malaria tablets are recommended by the CDC for those traveling to Uganda, as well as these it's always best to pack common medical supplies and over-the-counter medicines in case you can't purchase them.
- Insect repellent and sunscreen will be useful for any outdoor activities you might be doing in Uganda.
- Make sure you pack comfortable lightweight long-sleeved clothes and some warm clothes and good footwear if you are going into the mountains.
- Don't forget to follow all the entry requirements for Uganda!